Trading rights to RFA's?

Moderator: SharksGM

shanYe - Predators

Trading rights to RFA's?

Post by shanYe - Predators »

I was curious if their is any league rules on it, since it hasn't been discussed yet or it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the rules.

Right now I'm in a situation similar to what Boston was in with Kessel and Florida was with Jay-bo. Both had star players who were RFA and wouldn't resign.

Right now I'm sitting with Radulov, the clock is ticking before I lose him and I got teams sending in offers for his rights.

Curious to hear what commish's and other GM's think.
Vik-Oil

Re: Trading rights to RFA's?

Post by Vik-Oil »

Jay Bo was UFA.
shanYe - Predators

Post by shanYe - Predators »

Vik-Oil wrote:Jay Bo was UFA.

"Bouwmeester, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday, was acquired by Calgary in a trade with the Florida Panthers as the NHL entry draft wrapped up Saturday with the final six rounds at Bell Centre.

Florida acquired Jordan Leopold — also on the verge of free agency — and a third-round pick (67th overall), which the Panthers used to draft right wing Josh Birkholz."

source http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/200 ... o-calgary/

dated the Saturday before Jay Bo's contract ran out.

Similar articles were posted on TSN and Sportcenters website.

So yeah, Jay-Bo was traded 5 days before he became a UFA
Vik-Oil

Post by Vik-Oil »

shanYe - Predators wrote:
Vik-Oil wrote:Jay Bo was UFA.

"Bouwmeester, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday, was acquired by Calgary in a trade with the Florida Panthers as the NHL entry draft wrapped up Saturday with the final six rounds at Bell Centre.

Florida acquired Jordan Leopold — also on the verge of free agency — and a third-round pick (67th overall), which the Panthers used to draft right wing Josh Birkholz."

source http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/200 ... o-calgary/

dated the Saturday before Jay Bo's contract ran out.

Similar articles were posted on TSN and Sportcenters website.

So yeah, Jay-Bo was traded 5 days before he became a UFA
That's what I meant. You said RFA when he was actually set to become a UFA.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

RFAs rights can be traded. We don't really want a scenario of this happening all the time because the RFA Free Agency process is in there for a reason, but it does happen, so we will allow it to happen here.

The team acquiring a player's rights will have 5 calendar days (or however long until the player rejects the final offer in that timeframe) to sign the RFA that they trade for. After that, they become bid-eligible and will be subject to the compensation policies outlined in the Rulebook.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”