Sig bets for Gold Medal game

Moderator: SharksGM

Jets GM

Sig bets for Gold Medal game

Post by Jets GM »

There's been a lot of chirping around here, anyone wanting to gamble there signature up? Loser's signature is up to the winners for a whole month (30 days). Whatever the winner chooses, obviously it can't be something that be to inappropriate to be a post. I want Canada, any takers?

There is a lot of Americans in this league that post here regularly.....would hate for this thread to fall on deaf ears. ;)
Most recent file here.
Jets GM

Re: Sig bets for Gold Medal game

Post by Jets GM »

ttt

Adam, Ryan and Nick.....I know your there, you run this thing.
Most recent file here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

No need to bet, Canada's gonna steamroll the US and make Ryan Miller cry like a little girl.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Yeah Canada will outshoot the US by more than the 42-22 count the last time they played. Now that Canada has their starting goalie in I doubt they'll loose.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Bruins wrote:Yeah Canada will outshoot the US by more than the 42-22 count the last time they played. Now that Canada has their starting goalie in I doubt they'll loose.
Be that as it may, I thought patriotic pride/support of your team would get me some action.

Little more then an hour before puck drop, and nothing but crickets on the US side. :P
Most recent file here.
Tuo-SabresGM

Post by Tuo-SabresGM »

Are the signatures limited to text only, or pictures as well?
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

Tuo-SabresGM wrote:Are the signatures limited to text only, or pictures as well?
That's the spirit! haha

I'm so pumped for this game, but I'm also cheering for Canada, so I guess we do need some more Americans in here putting up bets if this is going to take off at all :P I also think we're gonna win. Luongo hasn't been perfect in the games he played, but he hasn't looked shaky like Brodeur did against the Americans. I think you'll see the same Canadian dominance with the puck, but stronger goaltending: going to be a really good game!
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Tuo-SabresGM wrote:Are the signatures limited to text only, or pictures as well?
text only, and the loser cant have any of his own writing in his sig. im starting my pre-game fest right now, so i'll take that as a yes?
Most recent file here.
Tuo-SabresGM

Post by Tuo-SabresGM »

Yea, what the hell. All in fun anyway :P
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Offsides.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

OVERTIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!

Nick has to have a canadian flag in his sig for the rest of the regular season.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

WOOOOO!
Tuo-SabresGM

Post by Tuo-SabresGM »

So close. So very, very close.

Good game to all the Canadians. Its nice to take home Silver given everything, but it still burns to lose this one. And yea, that first American goal was offsides, but there were many non-calls that Canada committed beforehand, especially that BS that Perry pulled at the end of the 1st.

You got this one, Justin. Maybe we'll get it in 4 years :?
Oilers_GM

Post by Oilers_GM »

I imagine Russia will be looking for the Gold then in Sochi too. Too bad for the Slovak's was hoping for a Win over the Finn's - mostly cuz I am not a Kipper fan ~ Flames :P
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

big game, big win and a big goal from #87. doesn't get any better then that.....Wait, it was the USA we beat. It does get better. :lol:

Nick, check your PM box in a few days for your new temporary signature. :)
Most recent file here.
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

Tuo-SabresGM wrote:So close. So very, very close.

Good game to all the Canadians. Its nice to take home Silver given everything, but it still burns to lose this one. And yea, that first American goal was offsides, but there were many non-calls that Canada committed beforehand, especially that BS that Perry pulled at the end of the 1st.

You got this one, Justin. Maybe we'll get it in 4 years :?
What bs are you referring to? You mean where Perry was gliding down the ice with the puck at the end of the period and I don't know how (I'm going to assume Jack Johnson cause I hate him...) rubs him out into the boards? Yea... non-call, I'll agree - but I didn't really see any Canadian commit anything there to start that.

Perry was all over the ice this game, getting that big 2nd goal, and he seemed to always be at the centre of everything. Had a fantastic game, but the commentators weren't really talking about him at all. Granted, Crosby's OT winner will overshadow everyone else :P
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Horrible ending to an otherwise great game. Maybe in four years....although watch out for the polonium in Sochi.

Overall, a great Olympics to watch, even if I was force-fed Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth every night. The US owns the podium, Canada makes a nice comeback to get the most golds, and Russia is left crying about...everything. :lol: For all the talk about Russia's disappointments, how about Finland only netting 5 medals? That's gotta hurt.

And crazy, CRAZY shit during the closing ceremonies. Thanks to last night, here's my lasting impression of Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYyy5J_IZFI
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Ok, so they didn't make Miller cry like a little girl, but I'm sure Burke and Wilson shed some tears. Maybe now they can focus on not giving the Bruins a lottery pick this year or helping the Leafs finish higher than 15th in the East.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Not sure how much bearing it had on the game, but I hate that NHL referees were used for the Gold Medal Game. Not only do they have some pre-existing opinions about certain players, but it's an international tournament and the GMG should be reffed by IIHF officials. The NHL and IIHF may have the same core rules in place, but the games are called much differently.

It should have been two impartial refs from foreign countries. Again, not saying it would have had any bearing on the game, but having NHL refs in the most important game of an IIHF tournament rubs me the wrong way.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I don't think the officiating affected the outcome. For that matter, I did notice that the refereeing over the course of the tournament was much better than in previous international competitions I've watched, so good riddance to IIHF refs.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I liked the officiating, any ref who can ignore the constant whining from the Americans should be in that game.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Nick's sig. :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

SIDNEY CROSBY is the most complete, well-rounded and dominant hockey player in the game today
I should institute a "No Blasphemy" policy into the Rulebook regarding signatures.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
SIDNEY CROSBY is the most complete, well-rounded and dominant hockey player in the game today
I should institute a "No Blasphemy" policy into the Rulebook regarding signatures.
I'm sorry, Sidney can't hear you. He's got his cup ring stuck in his left year and his gold medal blocking his right while he polishes his Art Ross, Hart Memorial, Lester B. Pearson and WJC Gold medal trophy's. Did I mention hes only 22?

AO lovers can bite me :)
Most recent file here.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:
I'm sorry, Sidney can't hear you. He's got his cup ring stuck in his left year and his gold medal blocking his right while he polishes his Art Ross, Hart Memorial, Lester B. Pearson and WJC Gold medal trophy's. Did I mention hes only 22?

Well, first, the most well-rounded, complete player in the league is Pavel Datsyuk.

Second, most dominant? It depends on how you define dominant. Ability to take over a game completely? I'd have to say that's a goaltender. For a skater? It's Ovechkin. His physical game gives him the edge there.

I realize Crosby has a Cup and a gold medal, but those are also team achievements. Give the Caps MAF and a shutdown center like Staal, they might win the Cup too.

Ovechkin has those same individual awards too.

Canada had better overall teams than Russia in both the WJC and Olympics. I fail to see where Ovechkin's responsible for that.

Good for Crosby. Just because I can't stand him doesn't mean I don't realize he's a tremendous hockey player. But, like most great hockey players, they have a lot of help. Ovechkin isn't what he is without Backstrom. Crosby's just been lucky to be on better teams.
Adam Burke
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:

Weber, Keith, Doughty, Toews, Staal, Nash and Neidermayer were more vital to team Canada's success than Crosby.

Datsyuk was Russia's best player, Malkin was their leading scorer, and I'd take Kovalchuk over Ovechkin on most days.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Envy (also called invidiousness) may be defined as an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it."
Most recent file here.
Tuo-SabresGM

Post by Tuo-SabresGM »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:
Envy (also called invidiousness) may be defined as an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it."
Ironic post, no? ;)

As much as I can't stand Crosby, there's no question how good he really is. I just can't stand having anybody's greatness (before they've accomplished anything) shoved down my throat. Perhaps if the NHL didn't pedal him as the NHL, I probably wouldn't dislike him as much. And honestly, the whole "most well-rounded" part is a bit much.

But like I said before, a bet's a bet, and I'm a good sport. Could be worse, I could've had to post a Leafs logo in my sig for the next month :P
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Tuo-SabresGM wrote:Could be worse, I could've had to post a Leafs logo in my sig for the next month :P
I wouldn't worry about that. They'll never win anything.
Adam Burke
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Tuo-SabresGM wrote:
Tampa Bay GM wrote:
Ironic post, no? ;)

As much as I can't stand Crosby, there's no question how good he really is. I just can't stand having anybody's greatness (before they've accomplished anything) shoved down my throat. Perhaps if the NHL didn't pedal him as the NHL, I probably wouldn't dislike him as much. And honestly, the whole "most well-rounded" part is a bit much.

But like I said before, a bet's a bet, and I'm a good sport. Could be worse, I could've had to post a Leafs logo in my sig for the next month :P
If you meant I'm envious of AO, that was just a chirp. If I was starting to build a EHM/NHL team he'd be obv be my #2 choice. What you said about Crosby is one of the reasons I've been in so incredibly impressed with how he plays and deals with it all. iirc when he was 15/16 Wayne Gretzky said if anyone could break his records, it would be him (im not saying he will, obv in todays game his numbers are close to untouchable). To have such great expectations placed on you at such a young age, and to have such a huge target for haters/media off the ice (ntm the ones ON the ice) to me its amazing for him to accomplish so much success team wise let alone personally.

All that aside, the type of goal he scored on Sunday is going to go down in Canadian hockey history obv. At 22 years old he's already immortalized himself with some of the all time greats in terms of great moments/accomplishments, which is exactly what was expected of him to do by the end of his career let alone 5 years into it. To be a captain on a Stanley Cup team, let alone the youngest is a tremendous accomplishment and to score a overtime winner in a Olympic Gold Medal hockey game is another one. I dunno, I don't find I'm impressed by much these days but his results and demeanor are imo.
Most recent file here.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Yeah, AO and 87 are probably the two players that people will most remember from this era. The thing I was trying to point out was that as 'great' they are, they really weren't even the best players for their respective teams; same idea goes for their NHL jobs: There's many nights where Backstrom, Green, and Semin as Washington's best players and nights where Malkin, JStaal, and Fleury and Pittsburgh's best. I saw from the Olympics what I suspected, that Crosby and Ovechkin are the two of the world's best players among a group of probably 20-40.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

The thing is there are never any nights when Crosby's wingers outshine him, because they pretty much have always sucked. So much so that he's pretty much been scoring goals by himself this season. The fact that he wasn't utterly dominant in the Olympics isn't really relevant because it's such a short tournament. Is Thornton is terrible player because he was disappointing in the Olympics? No... but his postseason performance is still questionable. (I'm trying to solve that problem in EHEC by missing the playoffs altogether).

Also Ovechkin is better than Kovalchuk in pretty much every facet of the game. Maybe Kovalchuk has a slightly better slapshot, but that's not saying much when overall they have probably the two best shots in the game.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

I'm Canadian, and don't agree with the end part of that signature.

Since Ovechkin and Crosby have been in the league, Crosby has always had way better players around him. Crosby has Malkin beside him for crying out loud. I know they don't play on the same line, but still Malkin gets a ton of attention from the other team.

My belief is Pittsburgh could survive making the playoffs and doing some damage without Crosby. Washington would not even make the playoffs without Ovechkin.

Also, in the Olympics, Crosby was near invisible. Plus, I know it's a goal, but that goal/shot was complete garbage. Miller was asleep on his post and that's the only reason it went in. In the first period, Miller would have made that save. Goal doesn't even touch Henderson's or Lemiuex's.

Let's not forget, Jarome Iginla and the referee had a lot to do with that play.
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:I'm Canadian, and don't agree with the end part of that signature.

Since Ovechkin and Crosby have been in the league, Crosby has always had way better players around him. Crosby has Malkin beside him for crying out loud. I know they don't play on the same line, but still Malkin gets a ton of attention from the other team.

My belief is Pittsburgh could survive making the playoffs and doing some damage without Crosby. Washington would not even make the playoffs without Ovechkin.

Also, in the Olympics, Crosby was near invisible. Plus, I know it's a goal, but that goal/shot was complete garbage. Miller was asleep on his post and that's the only reason it went in. In the first period, Miller would have made that save. Goal doesn't even touch Henderson's or Lemiuex's.

Let's not forget, Jarome Iginla and the referee had a lot to do with that play.
Also Canadian, and Henderson's goal was just as much garbage as Crosby's, lol. How many hacks did Henderson take at that on the doorstep, at least two if not three. Henderson's goal only matters because it won Canada the summit series, Crosby's goal only matters because it won us the Gold in the Olympics... both pretty equal in my mind. And Iginla made a hell of a pass, so did Phil Esposito...

Lemieux's goal? Sniped... it wins, lol

And we all know the kind of hockey Canada played in 1972 *cough* Bobby Clarke *cough* and in '87 when the Russian defender is hooked by Hawerchuk letting Lemieux skate uncontested down the ice... I love Canada, I love our hockey, but we score crummy goals to win. We have more heart and pour more sweat and blood (sometimes the other teams) than anyone else in order to win.
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

[quote="Montreal Canadiens"]I'm Canadian, and don't agree with the end part of that signature.

quote]

Of course, who would not want to play with Pascal Dupuis and Bill Guerin... *sigh*
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

NashvilleGM wrote:Of course, who would not want to play with Pascal Dupuis and Bill Guerin... *sigh*
Malkin/Fleury are still better than anybody AO has played with.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

CapsGM wrote:
NashvilleGM wrote:Of course, who would not want to play with Pascal Dupuis and Bill Guerin... *sigh*
I don't know, Backstrom's really, really good.
Adam Burke
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

CapsGM wrote:
I don't know, Backstrom's really, really good.
Backstrom's a beast and is only 21, but as of now Malkin is still the better player.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Backstrom's one of the best passers in the league...Ovechkin just bangs around the ice recklessly. And Green, while his all around game is a work in progress, is just as valuable on the PP as Ovy. Semin is really good as well.
StarStruck

Post by StarStruck »

Bruins wrote:Malkin/Fleury are still better than anybody AO has played with.

Backstrom's one of the best passers in the league...Ovechkin just bangs around the ice recklessly. And Green, while his all around game is a work in progress, is just as valuable on the PP as Ovy. Semin is really good as well.
things are lookin good for the caps definitely, but the penguins got a headstart on the caps..until recently the caps lineup wasn't that good, getting fleury malkin crosby in consecutive drafts, definitely a way better way to start than fehr ovechkin pokulok ;)
Femur

Post by Femur »

I don't know, Backstrom's really, really good.[/quote]

Backstrom's a beast and is only 21, but as of now Malkin is still the better player.[/quote]

if Malkin had the hunger of some of the other names in this thread, there wouldn't even be an argument
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

Femur wrote:if Malkin had the hunger of some of the other names in this thread, there wouldn't even be an argument
Agreed, when Malkin feels like playing, without a doubt in my mind he is the most dangerous player in the league.
StarStruck

Post by StarStruck »

put him on the team where he is the man and instant success...look at what happened last season when Crosby was injured and when Crosby disappeared for part of the playoffs, the Pens don't win that cup without Malkin he carried them.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Yeah, there was a few points last year when I thought Malkin was the best offensive player in the world. I think he's the type of player that needs to be 'the guy' somewhere. Crosby and J Staal are Pittsburgh's two most valuable forwards (although Malkin might be the most talented).
Femur

Post by Femur »

Geno's instincts are off the charts offensively and defensively. best hockey sense since (?) Mario? Stevie Y? i dunno

but he is friggin' lazy.

Return to “The Sports Bar”