Captain's meetings

Moderator: SharksGM

Parker

Captain's meetings

Post by Parker »

It seems that none of my players who've had captain's meetings have increased in CON.

Pyatt (59)
Jovanovski (63)
Winnik (62)
Vrbata (55)
Prucha (53)
Yandle (63)

These guys should all have gotten an increase.

Montoya (60) - shouldn't change because he also had a clash with the captain so the net change is zero.

I believe it's +5 for a successful meeting and -5 for a clash? I'm a little rusty on this stuff so maybe someone could confirm or correct this.
NashvilleGM

Re: Captain's meetings

Post by NashvilleGM »

uhm theres no such thing in this league .... i think
Parker

Post by Parker »

Oh, okay. I didn't see anything about it in the rules so I just assumed the meetings had the normal EHM effect.
Parker

Post by Parker »

I'd still like to get some feedback on league brass regarding captain's meetings. A confirmation/denial that they are not being used in this league would be fine.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Parker wrote:Oh, okay. I didn't see anything about it in the rules so I just assumed the meetings had the normal EHM effect.
Did the creators of EHM say that that they were meant to increase a players CON, but it wasn't implemented in the game?
Most recent file here.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:I'd still like to get some feedback on league brass regarding captain's meetings. A confirmation/denial that they are not being used in this league would be fine.
It was never discussed at league startup and has not been discussed yet. When the league started, I had been out of the EHM loop for quite some time, so I didn't even realize that this was going on.

We will review it and decide.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

I would prefer CON increases to be determined by something else than a randomized captain's meeting.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I was leaning towards suggesting a LE boost for your captain rather than a CON boost. Since we're aiming for realism here, I think it would be realistic to say that your captain taking initiative to talk to a player helps him grow as a leader.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Bruins wrote:I would prefer CON increases to be determined by something else than a randomized captain's meeting.
Yeah, while we're at it we should probably discuss what to do with POT increases to high-CON players in the offseason. Having EHM randomly decide is somewhat unsatisfying.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:I was leaning towards suggesting a LE boost for your captain rather than a CON boost. Since we're aiming for realism here, I think it would be realistic to say that your captain taking initiative to talk to a player helps him grow as a leader.
I'm not against that either. Anything that adds to the strategy of the game.
DevilsGM

Post by DevilsGM »

Bruins wrote:
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:I was leaning towards suggesting a LE boost for your captain rather than a CON boost. Since we're aiming for realism here, I think it would be realistic to say that your captain taking initiative to talk to a player helps him grow as a leader.
I'm not against that either. Anything that adds to the strategy of the game.
Yea well considering how long it takes LE to go up sometimes it is not a bad idea. Although I am used to it raising a players con +1 and really wouldn't mind it either way.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Did the creators of EHM say that that they were meant to increase a players CON, but it wasn't implemented in the game?
It is in fact implemented. When a player meets with the captain, he gets a +3 CON boost (my mistake in thinking it was +5 before; I looked it up on fhockey.com and it's actually +3) and when he clashes with the captain he gets -5 CON. I guess this is a lot less commonly known than I'd thought.

What I am curious about exactly is if league brass hasn't done anything to roll back these CON changes, how is it that the boosts/drops have not been reflected in players.ehm?

For the record, captain's meetings are no more random than any other occurence in EHM; that is, they are more about probability than random chance. Having a high-LE captain on a team where low-CON players have slumping morale greatly increases the chance of a meeting. I've actually been engineering some of my players' morale specifically for this reason, since nothing was mentioned in the rules about captain's meetings not being used. I've been going on the assumption that if nothing is mentioned in the rules to supercede it, all features/rules/bugs of EHM are fair game for exploitation.

Interesting thoughts by the league at large on alternate uses of the captain's meetings. I wouldn't be against using them to bump LE instead of CON. I like the idea, actually.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

I've been playing EHM for decades, and I didn't know about this feature. :?

I wonder why it's not showing up in the players file -- I can't figure out why it wouldn't, unless it's something that doesn't get saved into the file like other occurences (injuries, contract offers, etc).

And, um, how have you been "engineering" captain's meetings, Parker? Extra laps in the Glendale parking lot? :D
Parker

Post by Parker »

Bub(NYR) wrote:And, um, how have you been "engineering" captain's meetings, Parker? Extra laps in the Glendale parking lot? :D
Hehehe.

Just do stuff that'll drop the player's morale... healthy scratch for multiple games, lousy icetime when actually dressed, demote to minors for no reason, hire a male prostitute to seduce the player's wife, that sorta thing.
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

captain meetings or clashes does not affect the players CON....

unless the league manually edits the file

and meetings occurs on slumping teams (winning teams will NEVER get meeting, or almost never) with slumping players.... having a high leadership captain helps but not THAT much.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

I find it interesting how teams build a style or identity resembling their captain. Maybe Team A; who has a captain with a hitting of 90+ gets to pick 2 alternate captains who get +3 HIT each, or if the team captain is a shooter with a 90+ rating, the Alternate Captains get +3 shooting each.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:hire a male prostitute to seduce the player's wife, that sorta thing.
I have to assume that captain's meetings under these circumstances would not go over well.
Adam Burke

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”