To Edmonton Oilers:
D Sheldon Souray (75)
R Igor Boldin (48)
R Joni Nikko (45)
EDM 1st in 2015

To Montreal Canadiens:
D Luke Schenn (85)
DAL 5th in 2015

This was a tough deal to settle on but we've both managed to find something we like. The biggest part is obviously Schenn for the 1st. Without seeing the draft, it's tough to know exactly how highly to value the pick but, for me, I think Schenn brings more value than what I'd get if I kept the pick. If I keep it, Edmonton could very well make the playoffs and I'm stuck with, at best, a middle of the round pick. There's a chance it gets into the lottery and maybe I get lucky but I'd rather go with the sure thing. With the Oilers reacquiring their own 1st, I imagine it's going to increase in value. They're only 1 point up on the Jets and 2 on the Ducks so it's very easy to see them getting into the lottery and the pick could easily gain value beyond simply that. If it gets high enough, I could very well be giving them the best player in the deal but I'm fine with that.

As for the rest, Souray balances the books though isn't without value, the boosters are a nice chance at getting a bonus out of the deal, and the 5th keeps me involved in the draft.

Thanks for the dealings Josh and good luck.
Josh-EDM

Re: Edmonton - Montreal

Post by Josh-EDM »

The reasoning is pretty straight forward. My team at full strength and healthy was maybe the 7 or 8 seed out West, but has been unable to match up with the heavyweights out west in head to heads. The suspension of Chris Summers has essentially made the decision to sell for me before my pick becomes more valuable.

Schenn is a unique player in EHEC, and I may not recover his full value at my pick. I am willing to take that risk however. I don't need to get full 100% value for Schenn here because of the extra added value of re-acquiring my own first round pick that my predecessor traded. Without my first round pick I was essentially in the position of having to try to scrape by to hope for the 8th seed. It put me in the situation where I would be unable to get full value for my other available veterans because I had to keep a much stronger focus on futile efforts at winning now. This move allows me to find the best deal for some of my available veterans with the added security of knowing that if things fall apart I will reap the "benefits" of my continually improving draft position.

As far as the value of Schenn goes, I was initially hesitant to move him for the first. In looking at past drafts and considering realistically where my pick should finish, I can get a very very good player with the pick. As Vik noted, if things break just right it could be a special player. This is an upside I'm willing to roll the dice on.

In considering the deal I also considered deals for other top defenders recently made. The notable example I came back to was Adam Larsson. The return for Larsson included numerous prospects who all have significant warts. I feel that this one asset is potentially the best asset traded for either defenseman, and Larsson is the more valuable player. I also acquired two lottery tickets in the two con boosters.

Overall this is a medium risk, high reward deal for me. Schenn is a fantastic player, but the doors opened by re-acquiring my own first round pick are significant. This move was made with careful consideration, and it took some time to complete. Thanks for the cooperation Vik.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Re: Edmonton - Montreal

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

This trade has been reviewed and rejected.

Please pm me for details, if you desire them. Either way, feel free to rework this deal if you like.

Return to “Rejected Trades”