Olympics Thread

Moderator: SharksGM

Singin the BLUES

Olympics Thread

Post by Singin the BLUES »

TAMPA, Fla. -- Star forward Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

Doctors say he has not recovered enough from a broken right leg.

The Tampa Bay Lightning star underwent a CT scan today and it revealed his tibia is not completely healed.

"Today is obviously very disappointing for me," Stamkos said in a release. "I honestly believe that we did everything possible in order to have my injured leg ready in time for the Olympics, but I realize you can't force healing. I know, in the best interest of my long-term health, I cannot represent Canada in Sochi, as much as I would like to."

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who is also Team Canada's executive director, says Stamkos "should not be participating in game action at any time in the near future."

The decision to keep Stamkos on the sidelines was made by Lightning doctor Ira Gutentag.

"Although the doctor was very pleased to this point with the healing process, he explained that the callus surrounding the fracture site is not 100 per cent consolidated, and Steven will not be cleared to play in a game until that happens," said Yzerman. "It was a pretty clear-cut decision, no grey areas at all."

Stamkos will continue to rehab the injury in Tampa and be re-evaluated in two to three weeks.

It was not immediately clear who would replace Stamkos on the 25-man roster. NHL players are set to leave Sunday and arrive in Sochi on Monday.

Stamkos suffered the injury Nov. 11 and hasn't played since. He underwent surgery to have a titanium rod inserted into the tibia.

Stamkos, who had hoped to get a game in before the NHL break and then travel to Sochi, has missed 39 regular-season games to this point.
TorontoGM

Re: Stamkos not going to Sochi

Post by TorontoGM »

I can't believe people actually thought he had a chance of making it back in time.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:I can't believe people actually thought he had a chance of making it back in time.
I'm just glad common sense prevailed.

Not like they should need him to win a medal anyway.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

If the NHL was the NFL, not only would he be back and playing in Sochi, he would've had three hat tricks in his first games back. "What a miraculous recovery! Isn't modern medicine wonderful!"
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

this news is so old.....
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Question is... Will Marty accept if he gets offered the spot now?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:Question is... Will Marty accept if he gets offered the spot now?
Of course he'll accept. This isn't a Bobby Ryan situation where team management pretty much publicly embarrassed him.

Last crack at an Olympics for Marty. He'll go. Supposedly a lot of debate on who to replace Stamkos with.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Singin the BLUES

Montreal Canadiens wrote:this news is so old.....

You are more retarded then I thought u were....this was posted minutes after it was announced.....it isn't our problem you are a slow motherfucker....RETARD
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Penguin wrote:Question is... Will Marty accept if he gets offered the spot now?
why wouldn't he?

Classic STL.

PS - Adam I think we should look at some punishments for using the word retard. It's pretty close to the word faggot which some people got very offended about. Clean this awful language up a bit. Where's the soap when it's needed.

A punishment could be.....mandatory english class?? Just throwing it out there, wouldn't hurt STL to be educated.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

STL needs a muzzle.
Virtual Jarmo

Re: Olympics Thread

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Sandis Ozolins carrying in Latvia's flag at the Opening Ceremonies.

Was stunned when I saw he was part of Latvia's team. For some reason I expected him to be 50 by now.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Sandis Ozolins carrying in Latvia's flag at the Opening Ceremonies.

Was stunned when I saw he was part of Latvia's team. For some reason I expected him to be 50 by now.
Wow.

Sandis Ozolins, Petr Nedved. Will Tretiak suit up for the Russians next? Maybe Paul Henderson can play for Canada too.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

US goes with Jon Quick. Hopefully it's the right call.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Hopefully Carey Price is the right call. Obvious Quick is.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Hopefully Carey Price is the right call. Obvious Quick is.
I don't think it's that obvious at all. I think Miller's best is better than Quick's best, though I'll admit that I don't have a large sample size of seeing Quick. What I do know is that Miller has been through it before and is playing extremely well this season, while Quick has dealt with injury and doesn't have the same Olympic experience.

We'll see what happens. All I know is that comparing the US roster to the others, Quick better be damn good.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Sweden looking very strong. Czechs showed some good resilience, though. Strange that they didn't even dress Pavelec. Started some guy named Kovar, with Salak coming in after the 3-0 goal.

Latvia-Switzerland locked in a pretty even game. Probably not a good sign for the Swiss.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Brutal outcome for the Latvians. Tremendous effort from them, Masalskis especially.
Adam Burke
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Coudln't watch the games today. I put 100$ on Canada +4 1/2 tomorrow. Smart or not?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

+4.5?

Do you mean -4.5? As in they have to win by 5?
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Sweden looking very strong. Czechs showed some good resilience, though. Strange that they didn't even dress Pavelec. Started some guy named Kovar, with Salak coming in after the 3-0 goal.

Latvia-Switzerland locked in a pretty even game. Probably not a good sign for the Swiss.
The announcers on the broadcast I was watching mentioned it was politics. They were rewarding players who were "loyal" to their hockey program, and not the ones who skipped on WC or other tournament appearances.
Singin the BLUES

Slovenia is making the Russians look better then they really are .......wait till Russia plays a real team
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:The announcers on the broadcast I was watching mentioned it was politics. They were rewarding players who were "loyal" to their hockey program, and not the ones who skipped on WC or other tournament appearances.
Interesting. Pavelec's played a few international tournaments, but I'm not that surprised if that's the case. I guess I can't judge the Czechs for it, but I have to wonder how countrymen feel about it. Pavelec gives them the best chance to win.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Team USA looking good. Slovakia's not the class of the Olympics by any means, but the US team is a handful in the offensive zone. Great cycle game. Moving the puck in transition is a strength again. Not many passes have missed the tape from the US D. Very impressed. Can't wait to see the Russia game Saturday.
Adam Burke
Singin the BLUES

Of course USA is looking good, they are pretty much playing against a beer league type team
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Singin the BLUES wrote:Of course USA is looking good, they are pretty much playing against a beer league type team
You mean the team that beat the Russia in 2010 and finished fourth in Vancouver? Right.

Different team without Gaborik and Demitra, which would have definitely helped them exit the zone, but the US spent long stretches of that game in Slovak ice and really dictated the tempo. Exactly what they needed to do. Blowout win allowed them to get everybody some ice time.

I like how an Olympic qualifying team is a "beer league" type team.

Offshore oddsmakers expected this to be a one or two-goal game. It wasn't.

You're a glass always empty person, aren't you?
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Singin the BLUES wrote:Slovenia is making the Russians look better then they really are .......wait till Russia plays a real team
Actually it was the other way around.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Ya I meant -4.5 ... Dope. Sharp missed a wide open net, Pricey should have cleared it on his own which lead to Norway's goal and the team was SLEEPING in the 1st, should have known better.

I took USA at 2.2 (decimal odds) moneyline against Russia and took them at 7.0 to win Gold if Canada doesn't. Sick lineup!

And, Jeff Carter was garbage... I'd honestly put PK forward instead of him. :?
Montreal Canadiens

I'm not a PK fan by any means, but how do you scratch the reigning Norris Trophy winner? Glad he's getting a chance tomorrow morning to prove himself. Imagine him on the PP with Doughty or Weber? Nuts. Duchene is getting a chance too, wonder who sits out. Benn & Bergeron looked good.

Carter should have never made Canada. Period. Neither should have Kunitz.

I wouldn't say beer league team, but Slovakia is nothing compared to what they were 4 years ago. They have Marian Hossa & Zdeno Chara. Not much else there. I figured US would win 4-1, 7-1 was a bit surprising, but we'll see what other teams do to Slovakia. Thought Halak would have kept it a bit closer.

Didn't get to see the game, but 7 goals is always impressive. Canada put up 3 vs Norway for jesus sakes.

7 goals for the U, S, of A, and nothing from Zach Parise for my pool. Lame. Glad Erik Karlsson is killing it, hopefully continues tomorrow.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Switzerland and Sweden tied 0-0 after 2. And it's taken a very strong game from Lundqvist to keep it there. Interesting.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Incredible story here that was picked up by Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/nhl-believes-russia ... 1522771677

NHL sent their own doctors to report back on injury situations. The league is afraid that Team Russia will intercept the messages to use as a possible edge. So doctors are using code and burner phones.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

I guess Carter heard me......but Kunitz...get outta town.
Montreal Canadiens

Slovenia beats Slovakia......lol

How was that USA-Russia game? I didn't get up at 4:30 AM to watch it.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:How was that USA-Russia game? I didn't get up at 4:30 AM to watch it.
Based on the last third of the 3rd period + OT that I watched, the US had their bacon saved by the net being slightly off as Tyutin scored what should have been the game winner, then by the hilariously stupid international shootout rules and T.J. Oshie.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Team USA wasn't great, but it's not like they were severely outplayed by any means. My biggest takeaway from the game was how slow Brooks Orpik looked. Dustin Brown had a pretty bad game, as did Kane outside the sick pass to Pavelski. He really overhandled the puck.

The US did get the benefit of a couple of calls. The call on Fowler's goal was correct, but it could have been waved off if the ref wanted to. Skate was angled. No kicking motion, but I'm not sure of the IIHF rule. The disallowed Russia goal was against IIHF rules, but one camera angle made it look like it may have been tipped by a high stick, but another angle was inconclusive. That's what I thought the review was about, but it wound up being the net. After the first period, that hole for the peg needed to be drilled out again, so it wasn't a big shock that it came off. Slava Voynov said that it was "in his style" for Quick to do something like that. Nothing better than implying that your regular season teammate is a cheater.

The US did the little things. Blocked a lot of shots, communicated well, and were pretty good in special teams.

I wouldn't say it was an even game, but people insinuating that the US had no business winning it are wrong.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Other games > USA/Russia game
Montreal Canadiens

Slava Voynov really said that? Hahahahhahahah, nothing like airing your dirty laundry in a PRELIM Olympic game. Man that's going to be once awkward re-encounter after the Olympic break.

Oshie was 4 for 6....absolutely retardedly too good. I agree though, the ability to shoot again is just dumb. I wonder if Canada ends up in a shootout what they do with 20 of the top 30 players on their team lol. Rotate? Or stick with 2 or 3 guys? Glad to see Hamhuis suiting up for Game 3! I have a feeling Carey Price will be starting....stupid move if true.

Would it be crazy to see Crosby shoot 10 times in a row? Lol. Probably won't happen with Toews and Tavares in the line-up.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

What a great game from Finland, solid game.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

3 games against mediocre competition and Jeff Carter is the only Canadian forward to score (ok not exactly, but he has more goals than all the other forwards combined). Pretty worrisome if you ask me.
Montreal Canadiens

Crosby has been a fuckin ghost just like 2010. Man that semi-final matchup vs USA (if no upsets) is gonna be a beauty!
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Finland sucks, had a garbage goal and played a 5 man tight box all game in their zone, so boring as fuck to watch.
Montreal Canadiens

That was actually a pretty nice goal.....but ya boring as shit. Olympic version of the Nashville Predators. Canada probably gets the Swiss next....another trap city.

But when you're Finland ( or any team out side of Russia/ USA / Sweden) what else are you supposed to do? You can't contend with them on skill or speed so play some shut down D.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

SharksGM wrote:3 games against mediocre competition and Jeff Carter is the only Canadian forward to score (ok not exactly, but he has more goals than all the other forwards combined). Pretty worrisome if you ask me.
How are you supposed to score when Finland stacks their entire team at their own blueline when we have the puck in our own zone? Bern said it best, that game was boring as fuck. It was impressive to see Canada maintain their composure and continue to execute their gameplan, even when Finland luckboxed a goal to tie it.

02 and 10 we didn't win all three pre-lim games, and that turned out well. But please, can we get Benn off of the line with SC? He was constantly going offside, falling down, and mishandling the puck. All the while, Rich Nash is getting circulated on and off our 4th line. Would love to see him and SC together.
Most recent file here.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Coach Bern would do...

Bergeron-Tavares-Benn
Sharp-Toews-St.Louis
Duchene-Crosby-Kunitz
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Extra: Marleau (only plays in case of injury)

Weber-Doughty
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Subban-Keith
Extra: Vlasic (only plays in case of injury)

Luongo

Stands: Carter, Hamhuis

-Gotta get Subban in there for more offense (he can play LD)
-Gotta give the pipe to Bobby Loo, more experience
-Gotta stop changing lines and giving ice to a 13th forward/7th d, forwards are used to 22min a game and d used to 27min a game, rotating 4 lines and 3 pairs evenly
Last edited by Penguin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Finland doesn't give a fuck about your level of enjoyment.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Marleau and Carter should be playing. Kunitz can be the 13th forward and one of Benn/Nash/Perry can sit because none of them have done much of anything. Perry has probably been the least useful of the 3 but he has chemistry so maybe Nash can sit, or Duchene if they absolutely need Nash's size or whatever it is.
Montreal Canadiens

Marleau has 4 points why would you bench him?

Here's what I'd do.

Tavares-Crosby-St. Louis
Marleau-Toews-Carter
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Sharp

Same D pairs and goalie.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I really like Slovenia, they play hard. Really thought Austria would put up a fight but more of the same from Vanek(NOTHING).
Singin the BLUES

Norway is giving Russia a hard time ......Funny watching Norway using the trap
Singin the BLUES

Looks like Russia finally woke up

Return to “The Sports Bar”