Gainey retired/fired/whatever

Moderator: SharksGM

NashvilleGM

Gainey retired/fired/whatever

Post by NashvilleGM »

The Montreal Canadiens announced Monday that Bob Gainey has stepped down as general manager of the hockey club and that the team has promoted Pierre Gauthier as Executive Vice President and general manager. Gainey will stay with the front office in an advisory role.

Let's be honest here, he sucked. Never was the same since his daughter died in that boat accident.... I don't think Pierre Gauthier will do a much better job tho... so who's next... ?!

Discuss.
Bruins

Re: Gainey retired/fired/whatever

Post by Bruins »

Whoever takes his place needs to trade those contracts.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Maybe this is the job Patrick Roy really wants. :roll:
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

Pierre McGuire could be a candidate... I'd love that but I don't see it happening...
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

About time. He was awful.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

They should find a real capologist out there who can get their finances in order and get something good for Price/Halak.

I'm sure someone else will be brought in to handle the GM duties.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Pierre McGuire? Ya riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Gainey fired = Price traded.

Next GM: Patrick Roy
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

Patrick Roy? Are you joking? The guy is a coach. The Canadiens just hired Jacques Martin.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Patrick Roy? I don't think so.

Perhaps Darryl Sutter after Calgary fires him this year.

Gainey made some bonehead moves, signing Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Hamrlik, and Spacek to those retarded contracts that are going to hound them for years.
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

and now it's his right hand man that's taking the job, dont expect any changes .... yet.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

I want Roy to be the GM and I want Price to be traded for something good while he still has value, doesn't mean it will happen! Roy has balls to do anything. And, he's a better GM than a better coach in the Q.

I'd love to get Lecavalier for Plekanec and Price, but were fucked with those contracts.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:I'd love to get Lecavalier for Plekanec and Price, but were fucked with those contracts.
Won't happen with Tampa in the hunt. You could send Price to CHI, but they have to figure out how to get out from Cristobal Huet. What a miserable move that was. Could be the move that got Tallon canned.

Again, WSH is in the market for a goaltender and they'd have to move a decent salary piece to get him. Could mean that MTL would have to eat a contract like Poti's for a year or whatever, but they'd definitely get a decent prospect or two and maybe even someone close to NHL-ready.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Washington needs a goalie? (Varlamov/Theodore) I wouldn't mind getting Huet back with a nice Hawk for Price, but we don't have any money either. Cause of Gainey the toool.

Getting Gomez's salary for McDonagh was a worst move than getting fucking Janne Niinimaa for Ribeiro.
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

Trading Price is the worst move the Montreal GM could make...
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

Oh, I don't know. He could always waive him.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:Washington needs a goalie? (Varlamov/Theodore)
Varlamov's health is a serious question for this season and Theodore blows. Their chief objective is to get another defenseman at the deadline (Vishnovsky is probably their first choice), but if a goaltender falls in to their lap, they can't turn it down.

From what I gather, Chicago's looking at Tim Thomas. I could see a Thomas for Versteeg package being put together. Makes sense for both teams.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

I don't know if you could trust Varlamov in the playoffs either. Last year, he was a rookie so nobody had a lot of scouting on him. Similar to Steve Mason last year. 2nd year's are terrible for Goalies, Varlamov has done well in the regular season, but he also only played in 6 regular season games last year.

I think if you're Washington you definitely have to look at a goalie. Montreal would be stupid to deal Price, but they have to move Halak most likely.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

The thing is Price has huge value and Halak doesn't. But, Halak has the better numbers and the team plays a lot better when he's in nets for some reason.
Halak is a 9th rounder that looks small in his nets while Price is tagged as a superstar.
Halak makes 775k while Price makes 2.2M.

Return to “The Sports Bar”