2010 NHL Playoffs

Moderator: SharksGM

Bruins

2010 NHL Playoffs

Post by Bruins »

The teams I could envision winning the cup:
Capitals - Not sold on the notion that Ovechkin is the best player in the league but Washington is really good.
Sharks - They won't lose because of Thornton, Boyle, Marleau, Nabakov, Pavelski, Heatley, might need more depth.
Devils - Best team in Atlantic gets the Southeast's 2nd best player.
Canucks - Luongo's going to have one of those playoffs sometime or another. My pick at the beginning of the season.
Penguins - Gonchar is back, Malkin is picking it up. Over CHI because they've won before.
Blackhawks - Great young core. This is a good wildcard team.
Red Wings - If Datsyuk and Zetterberg are on and healthy, it's beats any combo in the league. I think Lidstrom's done winning Norris' but he's still one of the top-5 defensemen in the NHL at present and of all-time.
Flames - Toughness + playmakers.
Ducks - Built for the playoffs.
Flyers - See Ducks and Flames.

Teams I haven't seen enough of, or that just missed cut.
Kings - Well constructed, haven't seen them enough. I'd probably take Anaheim in a 7-game set.
Coyotes - Haven't seen them enough.
Avalanche - A player in the future for sure. Could break out in near future.
Sabres - Good goalie.
Lightning - I think they need to trade Lecavalier for depth. St. Louis is better and Stamkos darn close at 19.
Virtual Jarmo

Re: 2010 NHL Playoffs

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Everything you've posted is contingent on who does what at the deadline. With Kovalchuk out of the way, there aren't a lot of big names, but there are definitely difference makers available.

For Washington, it depends on what Varlamov looks like when he returns. They're the only team that has a chance in the East against NJ. I know that would piss off some PIT people, but Fleury hasn't been the same and they really do miss Scuderi.

In the West, I can't go against Chicago, even with their goaltending troubles. They're the most complete team in terms the 18 skaters and I'd love to see that PHX/LA series that is what would happen if the playoffs started today.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Montreal Canadiens

Re: 2010 NHL Playoffs

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

In the East, definite top 3 teams are WSH, PIT, and NJ in that order. I think Buffalo could surprise some people come playoff time, and perhaps the Flyers. I think it's definitely going to be a rematch of last year with WSH - PIT. WSH needs the goaltending to survive though, they almost lost to the Rangers last year because of Theo's suckitude.

In the West, can't trust San Jose in the playoffs, and I think Chicago is way overrated. Detroit is most likely going to come in as a bottom half seed and probably surprise some people in the playoffs when they get healthy. The Canucks, yeah definitely have a ton of depth up front and on defense, but have had playoff struggles in the past. The LA Kings could be a darkhose as well. I think the West is wide open compared to the East.

Return to “The Sports Bar”