UFC

Moderator: SharksGM

Singin the BLUES

UFC

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Do you guys think that the Vegas board screwed up on the decision to give GSP the win? IMO he shouldnt have won

Converse
Jets GM

Re: UFC

Post by Jets GM »

First, I really hope GSP retires. When I first started watching UFC in 2005-06ish he was my favorite; he represented the sport and his country incredibly well, plus was a fantastic and exciting fighter to watch. He's absorbed 50% of his total strikes in his career during the last three fights, and has not looked the same since coming back from his knee surgery. I don't want to see him go the Chuck Liddell/Matt Hughes route, being dragged out of the octagon as up-and-coming fighters get their licks in before they lose all name recognition.

As per the fight, when I watched it live I had it 48-47 Hendricks. However, I rewatched round 1 with no sound. Without Rogan screaming "OMG HUGE ELBOWS" or "THOSE ARE DEVASTING KNEES TO GSP's THIGH" I can easily see how the judges gave Georges round 1. He got 3 and 5 probably, so 48-47 GSP isn't as crazy as people are making it. Its the scoring system that's the problem, Hendricks did an incredible amount of damage round 2 which alone probably should of won him the fight, Overall, Hendricks was much closer to ending the fight and definitely caused more pain. But, I'm always the guy saying my favorite fighter got robbed because of scoring/judging criteria, so it's nice to have some positive variance with decisions.

Oh, and GSP has most W's in UFC history now. GOAT
Most recent file here.
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

I think the decision was good. When a round is tie, it always go to the champion even in boxing. If Hendreiks wanted to win, he should had dominate every round.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Dana White is the person who should retire.
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

TorontoGM wrote:Dana White is the person who should retire.
I like what you said!!
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

TorontoGM wrote:Dana White is the person who should retire.
Ya, the whole "hes owes us, the fans, ufc etc. rematch"....I was like, fuck you. Hes spent more time inside the cage then any UFC fighter in history. GTFO
Most recent file here.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Honestly, I didn't think it was as bad as Jones-Gustavsson.

As the old saying goes, to beat the champ, you have to BEAT Him. You have to sub him, KO him, can't have a close fight and leave it to the judges, they usually side with the champ (for whatever reason).

Johny Hendricks is his own worst enemy, he said he went 70 %, are you kidding? It's a title fight and you're going 70 damn percent? Oh okay. Plus he had George badly hurt in Round 2, and instead of striking with him, he tried to wrestle him???

Johny made clear mistakes in this fight, the one thing that did surprise me was how strong he was compared to George. George made some mistakes too, (apparently his head wasn't focused on the fight), since GSP has already beat everyone, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch.

I have to disagree with you somewhat Justin on the GSP retiring aspect, he's not getting knocked out by these guys like Chuck and Hughes did, people aren't dropping GSP with 1 punch (they aren't even dropping GSP at all). Hendricks has KO'ed about a small handful of UFC welterweights and George although stumbled didn't even really go down from his big left hand.

The problem with GSP right now, is with all the attention he has on his "boring fights" he's changed. GSP used to take guys down, and ground and pound the fuck out of them (or try to sub them). Now it seems all he wants to do is fight stand up and try to out box or out kick box them. I haven't seen the fight metric report, but how many takedowns against Hendricks did GSP attempt? 3 or 4? I know he was successfull on his first try about a minute into the fight and didn't really try to take him down after that. GSP has the best timing for takedowns in all of MMA and he really didn't utilize that weapon at all vs Hendricks. He did have quicker striking though, got Hendricks a lot with that straight jab, but didn't get out of the way like he normally does when Johny threw his left hand.

Give GSP some time off and let's book the rematch for May. That would give GSP rest of November off, December off, January off, and half of February off (for intense title fight training), giving him half of Feb 2014 and March and April for his 3 months, with the title fight set for Memorial day weekend.

Return to “The Sports Bar”