Major NHL Re-Alignment to Threaten EHEC

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Major NHL Re-Alignment to Threaten EHEC

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

More work for me. Fuck you Bettman.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/22/nhl ... or-changes
Two league executives told QMI Agency Wednesday that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman presented a proposal during Tuesday’s board of governors meetings in New York to scrap the current format used by the league.

Sources say under Bettman’s proposal, the league will have four divisions: Pacific, Midwest, East and South. It’s believed the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets would both get their wish to move to the East conference.

The realignment is by no means final. It’s still in the discussion stages.

Teams would play a balanced 82-game schedule with home-and-home against teams outside their division.

The top four teams in each division would make the playoffs. The first round would be divisonal play, the teams would then re-seed for conference play. Bettman’s idea would not affect a East-West Stanley Cup final matchup.

With 30 teams, one division in each conference will have eight squads while the other will have seven. Under the current format — two conferences and six divisions — division winners and the top five teams make the playoffs.
Sweet.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Parker

Re: Major NHL Re-Alignment to Threaten EHEC

Post by Parker »

That's kind of cool. I really miss the Norris Division rivalries from the early 90's, and I thought they'd be gone forever when they moved the Leafs to the Eastern Conference. Though, I guess I don't really give a shit about the Leafs anymore so whatever. :)
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Top four teams from divisions of 7 and 8 teams each is an awful, awful idea. I don't see how this would be an improvement at all.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

I don't see this every getting passed.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

EXPANSION! The league is going to look at Dubuque, Iowa, and the Bahamas. You know....non-traditional markets.

Return to “The Sports Bar”