Derek Boogaard found dead

Moderator: SharksGM

TorontoGM

Derek Boogaard found dead

Post by TorontoGM »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365644

I can't stand to see young people die. RIP Boogie man, go smash skulls in heaven.
Tuo-SabresGM

Re: Derek Boogaard found dead

Post by Tuo-SabresGM »

Very shocking news to wake up to this morning. Its sad enough to hear of anyone at any age, but especially someone in their 20s and in the midst of their playing career..

Makes you wonder if his size didn't play a role, or if it wasn't a result of past concussions. If it was, one would hope the NHL would finally take headshots seriously instead of picking and choosing how they are handled. There are other possibilities as well, but I'll hold judgement until we know more.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

:( Can't be because he got punched too many times in the head, orelse all boxers would already be dead.

R.I.P. Boogeyman.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Sad. Growing trend in sports of all ages is these top notch athletes dying at young ages. Just saw a tearjerker Sportscenter segment on a HS basketball player from MI who died on the court. Basic physicals aren't enough. These kids need full-fledged heart examinations to check for arrhythmias, defects, enlarged hearts, etc. Too many, too young.

RIP to Boogaard.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Sad. Growing trend in sports of all ages is these top notch athletes dying at young ages. Just saw a tearjerker Sportscenter segment on a HS basketball player from MI who died on the court.
The one who made the game winning lay up to give his team a perfect season and then collasped while celebrating?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:The one who made the game winning lay up to give his team a perfect season and then collasped while celebrating?
I think so, yeah. I didn't see the first couple minutes.

Interesting that Boogaard wanted his brain donated to the Sports Institute to test the effect concussions and fighting had on him. Since most of the talk has been about football injuries, let's see what hockey looks like on the brain.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

RIP, Derek.

Return to “The Sports Bar”