That OTHER League...

Moderator: SharksGM

Commish Bub(NYR)

That OTHER League...

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Ok, Leafs fans, trading for J. Bernier: good, bad, meh?
VancouverCanucksGM

Re: That OTHER League...

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Never a fan of tiny goalies.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:Never a fan of tiny goalies.
Tiny? He's 6'0. He aint no Darren Pang. :lol:
VancouverCanucksGM

He's 6'0 on a couple of phone books. 6'0 is being very generous with Bernier.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Guys like Tim Tomas and Tomas Vokoun seem to do just fine with their "disadvantage".

I think it's an alright pick up, despite his height he's an upgrade over Schrivens and James "The Real Deal" Reimer.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

I don't like giving up Frattin to do it.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Quick is a pretty small goalie.

I think it's a great move by the Leafs. Sucks for Optimus Reim though. Frattin is nothing.
VancouverCanucksGM

Quick is 6'1, Bernier is a very generous 5'11.

Vokoun is 6'1, Thomas, is a RARITY at 5'11. I can't think of too many other successful small goalies as of late.

Also, I think Bernier was protected behind the Kings system, should be interesting to see how he does out of his comfort zone.
Commish Bub(NYR)

I hope Bernier succeeds; watched him for a couple years when he played here in Lewiston, and he was amazing. Then again, often times Pete Delmas looked good too. :oops:

And the real loser here is probably Vancouver/Luongo, since they won't be trading him to Toronto now.
Montreal Canadiens

Lou was never going to Toronto.

I really don't think there is a difference at all between a goalie who is 6'1 (Quick) and a goalie who is 6'0 (Bernier). It's all in their ability. If you're a good goalie, it doesn't matter if you're 6'1 or 6'0. If Bernier struggles it wont be because he's an inch shorter than Quick (or lots of other goalies).
VancouverCanucksGM

Regardless of what he's listed at, Bernier has never been, and never will be 6' tall. Just like Marty St. Louis will never be 5'8, no matter how many places print that he is.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Saw him play a couple times in the division above in my summer league, he's way underrated, amazing trade for the Leafs. And, he's got that blood...
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Jose Theodore
Jaroslav Halak

Both 5'11
Commish Bub(NYR)

Tiny Thompson -- 5'10"
VancouverCanucksGM

TorontoGM wrote:Jose Theodore
Jaroslav Halak

Both 5'11
One a flash in the pan, but not a goalie that puts your team over, the other is injury prone..

Look, I know there have been sub 6' goalies, I'm just saying that few have ever been strong consistant starters.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Just to be a pain in the ass...

John Vanbiesbrouck 5'8"
Mike Vernon 5'9"
Grant Fuhr 5'10"
Mike Richter 5'11"

Also Vokoun, Turco, Toskala, Osgood....

But yeah, goalies are getting bigger. And as there are more and more bigger goalies, and they play better and better, people (read: coaches and scouts) will begin looking more exclusively for big goalies. Small goalies will become dodos.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

If you can play, you can play, regardless of how big you are. Jonathan Bernier wasn't good enough to unseat Quick, but we haven't seen enough of him in game action to see what kind of goaltender he can be. But if he can't hack it, I'm pretty sure that being a couple inches shorter than other guys won't be the reason why.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Commish Bub(NYR)

Nutso first period stats in Boston tonight: BOS 21 scoring chances (CHI 4); CHI 13 blocks (BOS 1).

How many more injuries do the Hawks suffer next period?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Andrew Shaw may not know exactly where he is right now, but he's a warrior and when he returns to Chicago, he'll be getting laid a lot.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I'm pretty sure that Julien hates hockey right now.
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:I'm pretty sure that Julien hates hockey right now.
Or at least Boychuk.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Yeah man, pretty depressed right now.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Calgary.Flames wrote:Yeah man, pretty depressed right now.
I'm from the home of sports-related depression. I sympathize.
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Bub(NYR) wrote:Just to be a pain in the ass...

John Vanbiesbrouck 5'8"
Mike Vernon 5'9"
Grant Fuhr 5'10"
Mike Richter 5'11"

Also Vokoun, Turco, Toskala, Osgood....

But yeah, goalies are getting bigger. And as there are more and more bigger goalies, and they play better and better, people (read: coaches and scouts) will begin looking more exclusively for big goalies. Small goalies will become dodos.
True, but the first group of guys you listed, were relevant 10-20 years ago, back when the entire league was smaller. Vokoun is over 6', and Turco and Toskala, were solid, but never put their teams over. Osgood was an anomaly, he played behind as many as 7 future HOF'ers at one time.

I'm just saying that recent goalies 6' and under DON'T usually win Cups and it's rare when they do.
VancouverCanucksGM

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
Calgary.Flames wrote:Yeah man, pretty depressed right now.
I'm from the home of sports-related depression. I sympathize.
C'mon, it can't be that bad, you guys had the Cleveland Crunch. ;)
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:I'm just saying that recent goalies 6' and under DON'T usually win Cups and it's rare when they do.
Your benchmark is winning the Cup? One goaltender wins the Cup every year. That's a damn small sample size.

And to your other post, soccer sucks. And indoor sucks even more.
Adam Burke
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

While we're cherry picking numbers, all that height sure helps Luongo suck.
VancouverCanucksGM

CapsGM wrote:While we're cherry picking numbers, all that height sure helps Luongo suck.

Most misused goalie in NHL history. Would have had a better chance winning a Cup staying in Florida.
VancouverCanucksGM

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:I'm just saying that recent goalies 6' and under DON'T usually win Cups and it's rare when they do.
Your benchmark is winning the Cup? One goaltender wins the Cup every year. That's a damn small sample size.

And to your other post, soccer sucks. And indoor sucks even more.

Not my benchmark.
Montreal Canadiens

CapsGM wrote:While we're cherry picking numbers, all that height sure helps Luongo suck.
WOAH???? Whats with dragging him into this.

I sympathize none with Boston, they are dirty cheap mother fuckers, and you know what, Karma is a bitch.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:I sympathize none with Boston, they are dirty cheap mother fuckers, and you know what, Karma is a bitch.
At least they've won a Cup in the last 35 years.
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:I sympathize none with Boston, they are dirty cheap mother fuckers, and you know what, Karma is a bitch.
Trading Patrick Roy, hopefully did to them what trading Babe Ruth did for the Boston Red Sox.
Montreal Canadiens

Don't care, I'd rather be a Canucks fan, and a fan of a team that plays the right way than a fan of the most disgraceful , piece of shit team in recent NHL history.

Torts announced in VAN today, will be interesting.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
Don't care, I'd rather be a Canucks fan, and a fan of a team that plays the right way than a fan of the most disgraceful , piece of shit team in recent NHL history.
Yep. A group of guys impersonating Greg Louganis (minus the AIDS, I think) every game is certainly playing the right way.
Adam Burke
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I hate both teams but I will always cheer for Milan. Tough loss for the bruins but the better team won.
Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
Yep. A group of guys impersonating Greg Louganis (minus the AIDS, I think) every game is certainly playing the right way.
Who on earth is Greg Louganis???

From Wikipedia:
Gregory Efthimios "Greg" Louganis (/luːˈɡeɪnɪs/; born January 29, 1960) is an American Olympic diver and author who won gold medals at the 1984 and 1988 Olympic Games on both the springboard and platform.
Okay.....who has won olympic medals on the team???
Commish Bub(NYR)

He means they're a bunch of divers.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying.
VancouverCanucksGM

TorontoGM wrote:If you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying.
But if you suck at cheatin, people will notice :)
Parker

Post by Parker »

As if you've never heard of Greg Louganis. He's famous because of awesome rappers like Young MC:

I can say a funky rhyme like Greg Louganis can dive
Don't have to be Saturday night for Young MC to get live
Cause I come off

<shudder>
Montreal Canadiens

Bub(NYR) wrote:He means they're a bunch of divers.
Oh.

I'm curious to know how many Canucks games you've seen Adam?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:I'm curious to know how many Canucks games you've seen Adam?
Enough to know what they're like. Plus, I do this thing, called reading, which you should try some time. It's not a secret that the Canucks dive, whine, and bitch.

I'm curious to know how many Bruins games you've seen Brad?
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Reading is just 1 person's opinion, can't go off that. Exactly proves my point, you've read some shit about the Canucks, and are just going off that. You don't know anything about them, or probably have seen more than 5 games of theirs, but since people write about it on the internet, it must be true.

They have 1 player that a couple times has snapped his head back after getting high sticked, and that's Kesler, but 1 person doesn't make a team.

I've seen quite a few Bruins games. There's not 1 player on that team that doesn't dive, whine, bitch, moan, whatever excuses you're using against the Canucks. Perhaps Bergeron, but he was guilty of some shit in the Canucks series.

The Sharks were the Kings of diving this post-season, but nothing said about them. People love to hate on the Canucks, they have no proof, no facts about nothing, just a bunch of people that know nothing about the team, that write about them and paint them with a bad brush, and everyone believes it.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

My next door neighbors are friends with this couple. The guy is a loose cannon and the girl gets really stupid when she's drunk, and is kind of a bitch to begin with. They have a terrible marriage and the guy cheated on her recently, yet they still stay together. At the last cookout my neighbors had, mutual friends continued to feed drinks to the girl because they knew what was going to happen and wanted the entertainment. They weren't disappointed.
Adam Burke
Femur

Post by Femur »

the Canucks are a disgrace. EOM
Femur

Post by Femur »

starting a new message: i hate Marchand and always hate all Boston teams, but i love Milan's game and if you don't on some level appreciate the hybrid monster of Dracula and Frankenstein that is Zedeno Chara, you just don't like hockey.

and also, CHI wins another Cup !

finally, no Cup for the 'Nucks!
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Yep, the Canucks are the only team in the league that has non-captains who constantly bitch at the refs. And of course no player on either Boston or Chicago has EVER tried to sell a call by embellishing.
Montreal Canadiens

The Canucks are the only current team in the NHL to ever do anything remotely seen as wrong.

Chara isn't a skilled hocky player, he's 7 foot 5 and thats the only reason he's in the NHL, if he was 5'9 he probably would be flipping burgers at McDonalds. What a great display of sportsmanship he showed by going after Crosby.

I respect that Lucic has some skill, but to take off my hometown glasses, he's a dirty player, that also whines (Cue game 5).

Marchand is the absolutely scummiest person in the NHL. Probably not in the entire world as people that are child molestors and have committed grusome crimes are probably lower than him on the totem pole but he's as close to as low as they come.

I'm curious as to what makes the Canucks a disgrace yet you can cheer for a team that has Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane on it?
VancouverCanucksGM

Cindy Crybaby tried to instigate things with Chara on more than one occasion, constantly running his knob polisher, they showed it all over TV when he did.

Return to “The Sports Bar”