Re: 2015 EHEC UFA Discussion Thread

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

74 players with new contracts
22 still pending
?? more to come
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:10.2 is max contract. So...
Rulebook says it's 20% of the cap (68M * .2 = 13.6M).
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

We ruled otherwise somewhere last week. I'm pretty sure it was announced somewhere.
Once everything has settled a little, I'll update the rulebook.
Sorry for the inconveniences, guys.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

We ruled otherwise last week. I'm pretty sure it was announced somewhere.
Once everything has settled a little, I'll update the rulebook.
Sorry for the inconveniences, guys.
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

Mike Ribeiro? Are we allowed to bid on any player, now?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

AP21 (ARZ) wrote:Mike Ribeiro? Are we allowed to bid on any player, now?
He's a UFA, why not?
Most recent file here.
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

Didn't Florida resign him?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5722
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

He and Briere got dumped into the pool when a rule about 're-signing veteran players' was mentioned to me, I should have made an addendum to that post, I guess. They're in the UFA list, anyway.
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

All right, thanks for the explanation.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Jungle Cats wrote:He and Briere got dumped into the pool when a rule about 're-signing veteran players' was mentioned to me, I should have made an addendum to that post, I guess. They're in the UFA list, anyway.
They were high greed players who were "testing the market" in game.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

MartyFromOTTAWA wrote:I like the Sens GM's move who let Spezza go testing the market and finally got him back at a cheaper price :lol:
Guess good things come to those who wait, eh.
Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Maybe we don't get a large number of star players going UFA, but there was still talent to be had, and a lot of guys apparently needed to fill in their bottom lines and their AHL teams. It's always funny to see which players ignite little bidding wars.
Yeah, it's been interesting seeing the bidding wars over some of the lesser names. Guys like Ildar Isangulov (who went unsigned last year until I tried to pluck him up after joining), Marat Urakcheyev, and Chris McCarthy getting continually upped and the Matthew Puempel sweepstakes apparently still haven't been settled. Not the guys I'd expect to see plenty of action on but fun to watch all the same.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Looks like I missed the buyouts for Cal Clutterbuck and Jo. Ericsson when I did the last update. (For the curious, they're still with NYI in GMO.) Plus, there have been a few other releases and buyouts in the Waiver Wire forum that aren't shown in the file just yet...
Commish Bub(NYR)

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Looks like I missed the buyouts for Cal Clutterbuck and Jo. Ericsson when I did the last update. (For the curious, they're still with NYI in GMO.) Plus, there have been a few other releases and buyouts in the Waiver Wire forum that aren't shown in the file just yet...
Updated.
Buffalo LEPS

Post by Buffalo LEPS »

Calgary.Flames wrote:I'm going to bring up the Dan Boyle issue to Bub and we'll see what comes out of it.
Totally not a fan of that signing.
Agree. Help the new guy please !
Buffalo LEPS

Post by Buffalo LEPS »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:This UFA season is a little more eventful then most with the new minimum offer system and extension formula; figured we could use a thread just like the draft.

Not surprised to see MaxPac first to go, he suits the BSBully style well. Buffalo got a nice veteran in Gionta at a very reasonable price. But, WOW, Boyle gets over 6 million from a team with major cap issues. Interested to see how Edmonton is going to manage this....
Hope Gionta will play like his Anaheim season where he had 34 goals :shock:

Does anyone knows with who he was playing ?

Suprise UFA beside Boyle : Dubinsky in Philly
No suprise there : Stall in COL
Good deal : Mikkelson in BOS
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Is it wrong to hope for 50 goals and 150 points out of the 3 guys I brought in?!
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:10.2 is max contract. So...
His agent was fired last night.
His GM is a genius.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Nekolenko, Koudys, and Pilut are all mistakenly in the completed free agent forum.
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

I'm-a keeping Ribs.

*Gipsy Kings version of Hotel California starts playing*
Commish Bub(NYR)

After discussions with EDM-Adam, Dan Boyle is being released back into free agency. Was a misunderstanding of a couple of our rules, but nothing damning. EDM has some cap issues, and a little bit of work to do to get back to the cap, but they'll still ice a very good team this fall.

As of now, bidding on Danny Boy Boyle is open to everyone.

And Zaq, just keep Ribs away from nannies.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Only 20 minutes left on Mr. Excitement, Matt Puempel. Where have all the bids gone?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Who has Patrick Roy? Can Montreal make amends, bring him back and assemble the ultimate Team Wifebeater?
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

SharksGM wrote:Who has Patrick Roy? Can Montreal make amends, bring him back and assemble the ultimate Team Wifebeater?
Don't forget Sean Burke.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

I want Andy Moog :(
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
Commish Bub(NYR)

Dallas Stars GM wrote:I want Andy Moog :(
Buffalo LEPS

Post by Buffalo LEPS »

I want the guy that was leaving all on the ice...

Clint Malarchuk
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Didn't Boyle play last year?
Most recent file here.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Didn't Boyle play last year?
Nope. No one would give him $5M.
IslandersGM

Post by IslandersGM »

bottom lines filled out - i'll look after the rest when I return from Iceland... Hell i'll even try login from there and see if I can't get a picture or something up.

Please don't send me PM's till the 18th..

Cheers all!
NYI GM
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

So all 24+ are eligible for waivers now, right? What if they are assigned to the farm team right after signing as an "exclusive AHL-only" contract? Is that a thing?
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Virtual Jarmo (CBJ) wrote:So all 24+ are eligible for waivers now, right? What if they are assigned to the farm team right after signing as an "exclusive AHL-only" contract? Is that a thing?
No waivers right now so, unless that changes before they're entered, you can still demote them.

Though AHL-only contracts would be terrific.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Vik (Habs) wrote:
Virtual Jarmo (CBJ) wrote:So all 24+ are eligible for waivers now, right? What if they are assigned to the farm team right after signing as an "exclusive AHL-only" contract? Is that a thing?
No waivers right now so, unless that changes before they're entered, you can still demote them.

Though AHL-only contracts would be terrific.
An AHL-only deal, but the players has to pass through something like recall waivers to play on the NHL team in the event of injury, trade, etc.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Commish Bub(NYR)

Hm, interesting idea. We could use the old two-way clause in the game to know who has "AHL-only" contracts. We don't have an AHL salary cap anymore, so two-ways are irrelevant, but would be useful for administering this.

I would think if this were in place, it could only be used on free agents (so not for extensions or ELCs) and any player having one would have to pass through waivers regardless of age.
BlackHawk Down (Seb)

Post by BlackHawk Down (Seb) »

What would define what is an AHL contract ?
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Virtual Jarmo (CBJ) wrote:An AHL-only deal, but the players has to pass through something like recall waivers to play on the NHL team in the event of injury, trade, etc.
I'd say just don't allow them to be recalled or traded unless they get signed to a regular deal first and don't count them against the 50 contract limit. Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to add to GMO that any player with a two-way clause can't get recalled but, if it's doable, we'd only have to even pay attention to it for trades. Maybe make it so that you're only allowed to sign them to a 1 year deal; that or other teams can sign them to a regular deal while they're still on your team if you haven't.

And I should be able to get rid of all the current two-way clauses for us easily enough if we want to do it.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Gonna start entering in contracts now. Stay out of GMO for a while if you can help it. :)
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

BlackHawk Down (Seb) wrote:What would define what is an AHL contract ?
If all players become eligible for waivers, you may have to pass a guy like, say, Kyle Brodziak through waivers. I have no interest in using him at the NHL level, so I could simply say it's an AHL-only contract, so he's exempt from waivers on the way "down" because he's exclusively signed to an AHL deal. It would eliminate signing depth in free agency and then having somebody claim that player when you just wanted them to play NHL training camp and then send them down.

The only thing about passing "recall waivers" would be that teams usually do this on game day, so the window in which the player could get claimed would be incredibly small and rather irrelevant. So either a cap penalty or, like Vik said, no eligibility to get called up anyway.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

Virtual Jarmo (CBJ) wrote:
BlackHawk Down (Seb) wrote:What would define what is an AHL contract ?
If all players become eligible for waivers, you may have to pass a guy like, say, Kyle Brodziak through waivers. I have no interest in using him at the NHL level, so I could simply say it's an AHL-only contract, so he's exempt from waivers on the way "down" because he's exclusively signed to an AHL deal. It would eliminate signing depth in free agency and then having somebody claim that player when you just wanted them to play NHL training camp and then send them down.

The only thing about passing "recall waivers" would be that teams usually do this on game day, so the window in which the player could get claimed would be incredibly small and rather irrelevant. So either a cap penalty or, like Vik said, no eligibility to get called up anyway.
This is true. And if a team needed a recall and the GM hadn't sent in lines, the simmer would have to call up any available player on a non-AHL contract first, or if none were avialable then pick an AHL-contracted player.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Yeah, I see the potential problems and the extra work. I guess my thought would be you could do something like edit the players.ehm name to be in all caps for an AHL-only guy so that he wouldn't be called up and that would be an easy way to distinguish.

I just feel like there should be a way to have depth in training camp that won't be exposed to waivers, especially if nobody gave a shit enough to bid on some of those players. Since there's no AHL training camp for those players to report to, there's only one option in EHM. Then you restrict those players to not playing in NHL games without some sort of repercussion (cap penalty +20% of player's salary) or something like that. Or they just aren't allowed up at all, like Vik said. Just a way to get extra bodies in camp that aren't prospects and can help an AHL team.
Adam Burke
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

I guess my thought would be you could do something like edit the players.ehm name to be in all caps for an AHL-only guy
Or just use an asterisk at the end of the name of the exclusively AHL player, example: Stephen Johnson*
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”