The new Gator of Miami

Moderator: SharksGM

Panther

The new Gator of Miami

Post by Panther »

The Panthers hire new GM after seven-year long rebuild yields unsatisfactory results, making the post-season only once in 2012/12 when they were eliminated in the Quarter Finals. The new manager will operate under the name "Panther," but is known in smaller circles as Sylas Cormack.

The decision was met with mixed praise and criticism. Those already writing the team's epitaph are quick to call out his unprofessional attitude and 'tinkering' with lines with overly-complex data in typical mad-scientist fashion. Sylas also has a rumored history of ship-jumping when Players and Agents force their hand. Even when the team is playing lights-out, which he is also known for achieving .

Regardless of where, Sylas has always excelled in every league he's competed, only ever missing the playoffs a few times, generally only in his first and second years. His teams are built more or less the same with slight variations.

"Never force your ideal." Sylas advises. "If the players prefer offensively-oriented style, play to those strengths. Complement it by addressing your weaknesses."

The Panthers are definitely an offensive-group with only a handful of HaGers in the lineup. Is this the area to address?

"I'm not making any personnel decisions as of now. The team's previous manager shredded and rebuilt. The build will continue, no one will be bought out, but we're going to compete. I don't believe in rebuilding personally. It's a buzz word ownership and management use to sell to their fans that they're going to suck for awhile. Because it's cheaper and easier to sell to your boss or peers or whatever. The Panthers don't need bleach."

First season management is always a rough time for everyone. Fans are trying to feel-out the organization, the GM is getting a feel for his players, the players will need to adjust to a new system... There's a lot of uncertainty and the only solution is [s]more cowbell[/s] time.
BlackHawk Down (Seb)

Re: The new Gator of Miami

Post by BlackHawk Down (Seb) »

Welcome to the league.... But Gators are in Gainesville. Respect lol

Miami has the Hurricanes :p
Great post by the way
Panther

Post by Panther »

The new "GM"
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Excellent read, man.
Flyin High Jets

Post by Flyin High Jets »

Chino is a very complex person at times. All in all, he's a good dude.
Panther

Sylas brings chaos to the chaos

Post by Panther »

By Harvey Fakhov of The Sun Sentinel

The chaos that was the Florida Panthers lineup - it's simplified. A bit too simplified if you ask me. I was able to get my hands on an early lineup submission between Coaching and Management, and it looks... well, I can see why they weren't exactly hiding this information. Three of the four lines will be practicing Passing Plays strategy, with the off-line focused on shutdown. It's a one-way style of play that lends itself completely to the creativity and trust of the players, which as we've witnessed in the past, was not exactly rewarding. But Sylas did say "You don't force your ideal. Play to strengths." I guess he meant 'all the way.'

Early looks tell of a lineup where 1st round pick Griffen Reinhart plays with Colby Robak on the shut down line, leaving the other two lines underwhelming physically. I suppose that's why McNally is slotted 1st pairing with Granberg (yikes). There are interesting observations however. Sylas has shown he is up for experimenting, with forwards on the points on the Power Plays.

Now it may be too early to make predictions based on this first submission (especially pre-draft), but Lubomir Visnovsky was left completely off the list. Nothing to speculate really in itself as he is an impending Free Agent, but Colby Robak is also impending and was listed. Brock Nelson was also left off but is injured for the next 101 days, so that is not at all surprising in itself, however in one of his presumed slots is mucker Justin Kea? On the other is Brandon Archibald? 'Presumed' because why else would he be there. It's really hard to say where he fits once he returns, but definitely in the top 6 (where Kea and Archibald are both placed). What's really strange is seeing Kea and Archibald in places where you would expect to see budding youngster Ruzal Galyev (also left off the list). I guess someone had to be "scratched" - but why him? And why Visnovsky? I refuse to believe this is a ploy to throw media and brass off as some practical joke, but who knows.

I did however notice something peculiar - that every line had a player on it that didn't quite belong. Maybe to bring some balance? Placeholders? Either way it didn't make sense, so I removed the outlier and revealed a pair on each line. Each pair seems to complement each other's skills. I'm not about to reveal the exact pairs, but discovering this was kind of hair-raising. Exciting even, to see that each line had a specific set-up instead of having a "Junk-drawer" line as was before.

It's safe to not assume anything based on this early lineup with an incomplete roster, at least on the topic of personnel. Though we can draw some vague conclusions based on general placement and tactics. Assuming of course this is the route they choose to go with.

The only real upside here is it's focused around a possessing game with a heavy lean on goaltending. Knowing Sylas's history as a "mad scientist" of sorts, he may not be going for winning games here, but possibly seeing who does or does not excel, and where. Or he may be simply enforcing the culture as he stated before, where in the same breath he states "(to) compliment by addressing weaknesses."

After going back and forth on this, the only thing I can conclude is that either he's exploiting their weaknesses or we can expect some kind of play for a need (a powerforward or top 4 two-way defender perhaps?). Possibly both? Perhaps neither? Outside the press release and the lineup submission, management isn't giving much detail.
Last edited by Panther on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Nice to have such an active GM in Florida, a welcome change.
Most recent file here.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Until the draft, there's little else I can do.

How do you get things to post from the Press Box from the front page?
Panther

New look

Post by Panther »

The announcement of Florida's new jerseys were made at exactly 9:47 AM EST. Two minutes later, a man was murdered in my front yard. But enough of that.

There were some confusion after the announcement was made. While the new jerseys themselves were not actually shown, the press release was more of a tease for the future unveiling.

The actual announcement from Sylas Cormack was, "The new jerseys will not look like a pack of Winstons."

More details to come as this story progresses. Or doesn't...

(Welcome your new WInston-Florida Filters!)
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (144.86 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Panther

Post by Panther »

I unveil to you, the new Florida Panthers jersey and logo!
Jersey concept courtesy of icethetics, by Matt McElroy. The file size was too large so I had to reduce it by cutting and resizing it.

I chose these because it has a classic look while still being sort of kind of modern. I'm not a fan of the FLA color scheme but at least they don't look like a pack of cigarettes.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (229.69 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Neat.
Most recent file here.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Can anyone tell me the story behind Marcel Noebels and his 6-year contract? Or why/how he played 35 games in the NHL? I'm simply perplexed.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

Can anyone tell me the story behind Marcel Noebels and his 6-year contract? Or why/how he played 35 games in the NHL? I'm simply perplexed.
Because, maybe when he was younger, he was considered as a POT boosting prospect with a good probability to boost since he fits the category of the POT booster. (Which means POT 69 or under and CON above 75)
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022

Return to “Team News”